Thursday, January 2, 2014

GROW

When I think of things that GROW two things come to mind immediately.  I have two beautiful children and we often comment on how big they are getting and ask them, "Can you please stop growing?"  They usually roll their eyes, laugh and respond with a version of, "I can't stop growing, Mommy."  Growing also instantly brings to mind my growing love of gardening.  At this moment I consider myself a novice gardener.  We had a small vegetable garden at our house for the past three years, and I enjoy planting and tending to flowers.  Gardening brings me joy, my children bring me joy.

Even though I observe other people and things around me that grow, I usually do not stop long enough to evaluate my own growth - let alone take steps to fertilize my own growth. 

Last year was a year of significant change for me personally, and it was/is refreshing.  The change has also reminded me of how stagnant I had become, how okay I was with my average status quo.  Now that I know the depths of joy focusing on positive change can bring I want to continue growing and not become stagnant again. 

This year, I am focusing on the word GROW.  Our first sermon series this year at church is titled "GROW" and it will take a look at the fruits of the spirit.  As soon as I heard the word, I knew that I wanted it to stick with me all year. 

Back to my beautiful children and our garden.  I know that both grow because of what is invested in them.  My children grow when they have supportive adults in their lives that challenge them at school, church, activities and home.  They also grow when we lovingly discipline them.  Our garden grows when we water and fertilize it, prune it and harvest ripe fruit.  Although I jokingly ask my kids to stop growing, honestly, I wouldn't want them to stop.  I love seeing their progress and watching them blossom in to the individuals they are becoming. 

I don't know what to expect out of this year.  I don't know exactly how I will grow, but I do know that when I look back on 2014 I want to be aware of the ways in which I grew.  Instead of just going through the motions of life, I want to make a conscious effort to grow in certain areas of my life.  I have a goal to grow in my athletic life.  I will be tracking my running/biking/swimming this year for the first time ever.  I will also be participating in my first triathlon and, if my body cooperates, I will be run/walking my second half marathon.  I also have a goal to spend 10 minutes a day in spiritual growth (journaling, listening to podcasts, reading the Bible, reading books, etc.).

In addition to my specific goals, I want to be aware and be able to acknowledge those moments that stretch me when "life happens," and I want to be able to pinpoint how I grew through those moments.  I am a bit nervous writing about "life" moments, because I don't want to bring anything "bad" on to myself or my family.  But I also realistically know that "life" happens no matter what I write, say or think.  How I respond and grow through those situations is what shapes my character.

As a visual reminder of growth, I will be tending to this plant throughout the year.  Each time I water it, prune it and fertilize it, I pray I can be reminded of my word - GROW.  I have no doubt throughout the year there will be people who speak truth in my life - who support me, love me and challenge me.  I also realize there will be moments where I will need to be pruned - where God will show me areas to let go.  I believe God will also reveal fruits that are ripe and ready to be used.  I am looking forward to a year of continued focused growth.

1 comment:

Ky | TwoPretzels said...

Excellent idea for a visual reminder. :) I have that same plant sitting on my desk in my office.

"..when I look back on 2014 I want to be aware of the ways in which I grew."

Amen.

I support you.