Friday, July 10, 2009

Engrossed

Okay, so I will post more pictures from our staycation. We are now firmly back into reality, but had a great time.... the thing keeping me from posting is that I am engrossed in My Sister's Keeper. I got the book as a hand-me-down with high recommendations to read it.

I can't seem to put it down. Last night I was up reading it until 11:45 and this morning I read a bit more while the kids and I were eating our breakfast. I haven't done that in a LONG time.

I'm also reaching for my cup of coffee a bit more this morning! :)

What I like about the book:
- I like the way the author tells the story from a different person's point of view in each chapter.
- I like that it has romance, mystery, trial suspense, ethical dilemma, and brings out many emotions.
- I like how close the book seems to the reality of living with cancer or living with a person who has cancer.
- It is an easy and fast read. Perfect for relaxing and getting your mind off of what is going on in your world. Perfect for a vacation. Perfect for "extending" a vacation. :)
- I like that it makes you think. What would I do in this situation? If I were the parent of a child with cancer how would I react? The brother, sister? Would I give my kidney? What about stem cell research?

Has anyone else read this book? (Or seen the movie?)

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Picoult's books are always striking to me on the reality front ... it never ceases to amaze me. It also makes me appreciate how much work she must put into each story ...


When you're all done with this one, try Plain Truth. It's another good one:)

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

Yep - I finished it a couple of weeks ago.

I'm curious to hear your final thoughts.

I've read several of Picoult's books - they definitely (in my opinion) follow a very distinctive pattern.

Can't wait to read your review!

Dri said...

Oooo, thanks for the recommendation Rachel!