We are currently searching for a babysitter for our kids. Since starting full-time, we have pieced together family and friends who are willing to watch our kids while we search for a sitter we trust and would leave our children with.
We are looking at in-home childcare v. daycare centers.
I started by asking around to as many people as possible. No one knew of anyone, or the people they knew of who were really good were full (because they are really good - vicious cycle, really).
Last week I started calling people from the newspaper. A few I knew RIGHT AWAY over the phone there was no way my kids would go there. I've narrowed the search down to two people now. One is an older lady who happens to be my husband's grandpa's cousin (did you follow that?) and the other is a young mom who I just realized is the sister-in-law of a person I work with who I trust and enjoy.
We are interviewing both tonight. Wish us luck!
I have a list of questions I'm going to ask. I'll post them in the comments section. I'd be interesting in hearing what other questions you would ask or have asked if you've looked for and hired a babysitter before. I'll keep you all posted.
4 comments:
The questions I'm going to ask:
- how often/when do you want payment?
- where will the children nap?
- how many other kids will you have the days my children are with you?
- what kind of food do you prepare for them? snacks?
- how much t.v. time do you allow?
- how do you handle misbehaving? what do you consider misbehaving?
- do they get to play outside as well as inside?
- what do you do when kids are sick? do you allow people to bring their children with fevers or not? cough?
I'm sure there are many more questions to ask, so I'm interested in hearing what you all have to say. We've never had to do this before!
I would ask if they minded you calling another parent that they currently watch kids for. Ask them the same questions.
I might also ask:
-How long have you been doing this?
-Do you have any children of your own and their ages?
-Do you have references?
-Do you ever leave the children in the care of someone else if you have something come up?
-Do you ever drive/leave the house with the children?
-Are you certified in infant/child CPR?
-Do I still have to pay if I don't require your services on a particular day? Do I still pay if you decide you cannot watch my children on a certain day? Do you require paid vacation?
-Do you have pets? How are they around children?
I asked all of these questions, plus the ones you mentioned, when I was interviewing sitters. I evenutally found one I love. She gives me a written report at the end of the day detailing what Rhys ate and what time he napped. She also takes pictures of him throughout the day and emails them to me at work. Love her.
Good luck!
maybe something "deep" like ask them about how they ended up in this "field" or maybe about an experience during their time in babysitting that solidified why this is what they feel they want to do with their lives?
Post a Comment