Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Potty Time


Do you remember if you got a prize or something special when you were learning to use the potty?

We weren't doing this with Little R. to begin with, but today I decided to go ahead and start. We'll see if it helps.

I don't remember getting anything, but I know parents who have a jar of Skittles or M&Ms and when their kid goes potty they get one. We aren't doing anything food related with Little R., though.

4 comments:

Traci said...

we tried rewards with our oldest last year. nothing worked until we decided one weekend that she had to just wear underwear all day during. it pretty much forced her to have to use the potty. and, it worked.

[as an aside: our pediatrician warned us against trying to potty train the older child before baby arrived. only because the older child will still want to be a baby once baby arrives and it could be too stressful for the child.

we were really close to being successful w/ the potty training and it all reverted once the baby arrived.]

good luck! :)

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

My little sister was potty-trained in ONE weekend (I was there) by my Aunt Judie.

Her reward?

After she washed her hands, a green olive on each finger.

She was potty-trained in NO time at all. It was amazing.

To this day, my 20-year-old sister loves green olives.

Sarah said...

Lucky for my parents, it took all of about 4 seconds to potty train me - I was 20 months old and had a cousin who was getting potty trained. I was interested in what she was doing in the bathroom, so I watched. End of story. ;) I can only hope my future kids are that easy!

My brother, on the other had, had a harder time. I remember a basket of toys on top of the refrigerator. Small things like bouncy balls, whatever...probably dollar store birthday party junk. I remember him getting one a day...if he had gone the whole day without a mess or something like that.

Dri said...

TLC - thanks for the advice on training before baby. I hope (HOPE) we have enough time in between here that he'll have a couple of months of being trained before she even arrives, but I've heard that he's going to slide back once she gets here anyway.

Little R. helped us put his diapers away about a week ago and is very excited about wearing "big boy" underwear. He was dry ALL DAY TODAY! Granted, some of that is because he was reminded to go potty, but that's an AMAZING step in the right direction.