
(Daryn, you may not want to read this post.....)
My nephew Lucas is here today. He's 11 and I was concerned with what I was going to be able to find for an 11 year old to do at my house. That is, until he found out that the Donnell pond is by our house. Kids from all over this end of F-town go to the pond in late spring and take frog eggs home with them from the pond. They nurture the eggs until tadpoles form and then they bring the tadpoles back to the pond and let them grow into mature frogs.
WELLLLLLLL..... my side porch is now "home" to at least 10 mini frogs. They are the size of my pinky nail - they don't have the tail like the one in the picture does, they really look like tiny little frogs. Their house is a Gladware container that has holes cut in the top and rocks piled up so that the frogs can have a place to jump to (I love 11 year-old logic). There is also a clear plastic cup that has 5-6 tadpoles in it. Some of the tadpoles have legs, some of them don't. My dad, who dropped Lucas off and is picking him up today, is stopping at a pet store to buy some frog food. (I'm laughing right now.)
After that great adventure, Lucas took Reece upstairs and proceeded to use TWO sets of Brio-type train pieces to make "Reece City." It's awesome. Really. And, Reece is so proud of it because his cousin Lucas built it for him. They played hockey, Lucas' favorite sport. Watched parts of CARS. Lucas surfed around on YouTube for awhile (don't worry, I was keeping an eye on the content, it was all hockey) and is now content playing PlayStation (sorry Jason & Michelle) while Reece is napping and I'm doing laundry and blogging. Not a bad day, if you ask me! :)
I can't believe I have frogs on my porch. I'm such a girl, it actually grossed me out a little bit to see all of these mini frogs jumping everywhere by the pond......
1 comment:
I loved this blog. So great!! Nature is wonderful.
Also I can't believe that Lucas is 11. How crazy time is. Why is it that it seems that some people never age in my mind?
Post a Comment