Saturday, September 4, 2010

In the still of the night...

Note to self: fair food, chocolate milk before bed and cats fighting outside our window are NOT a recipe for sleep.

Nonetheless, it is in these quiets moments of the night when the rest of my household is asleep that I find myself reminded of my blessings. In the background, I hear silence interrupted by the ticking of a clock, the crickets chirping and the hum of nighttime critters taking advantage of the cover of darkness. I am taking Bing Crosby's words to heart.... I am counting my blessings instead of sheep.

When I'm worried and I can't sleep
I count my blessings instead of sheep
And I fall asleep counting my blessings
When my bankroll is getting small
I think of when I had none at all
And I fall asleep counting my blessings

I think about a nursery and I picture curly heads
And one by one I count them as they slumber in their beds
If you're worried and you can't sleep
Just count your blessings instead of sheep
And you'll fall asleep counting your blessings

Tonight I'll give the sheep some time off - everyone deserves a vacation, right?

I am counting the blessings of two beautiful children who are a joy to be around, a loving husband who is more than I could have ever imagined, a supportive extended family who accepts me just as they've always known me and allows me to grow into who I am becoming, a job that allows me time with my family and also provides, a network of wonderful women who support from near and far.

There are many more blessings in my life... but I'll be counting them in my bed on my way to sleep. Good night, all.

No comments: