Thursday, February 18, 2010

Tonight I did the coolest thing I've done in a long time.

I went to a self defense class tonight.

When you think of self defense what do you think of?

I went in thinking I would learn how to throw an attacker down if they come at me from behind and how to hold my keys in between my fingers to attack someone's face or how to kick someone in the groin.

Boy am I happy I was wrong.

The first thing I learned from my amazing instructor was a straight line always loses and a circle always wins. Now you'd have to take his class to completely understand, but I was AMAZED at how easily a straight on punch is deflected by a non-violent circular motion.

He offers a weekly class on Thursday evenings. I will not be able to attend every class because of another twice monthly Thursday evening commitment but I would like to go as often as possible. He could even give a black belt in self defense. How cool would that be? Dri a self defense black belt.

That was seriously the coolest thing I've done in a long time. I feel so empowered after only one night. I am woman, hear me roar. :-)

2 comments:

Written Permission said...

Very cool!! And I like the mini "straight line/circle" mantra -- seems like something you could remember if the sh!t actually went down.

I vote that you post a video of you demonstrating your new skillz on R. :)

Go Dri!

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

Good for you, Dri. That's so awesome!

(Is it sad that when I read about a self defense class the first thing I thought of was when Kim Kardashian from, "Keeping up with the Kardashians" and her sisters went to a self-defense class because their store was robbed? I'm a dork.)