Monday, March 30, 2009

They did GREAT until...


I had the day off today so my mom and I took the kids to get pictures taken in their Easter outfits.

I was a little worried about Jenna's napping schedule. Would she nap before we had to leave? If not, would she fall asleep in the car? If not, would she be a mess for pictures? You know, the typical mom 'fears' that go along with picture time. She fell asleep at 9:30 and slept for an hour until we had to leave to go pick up Gramma Hilty. Perfect.

We got there and put them in their cute outfits. Jenna even sat still to get the bow in her hair and Reece didn't spin around and fall on the ground TOO many times while waiting for our turn. Again, perfect.

We get in the (always too hot) room and they do the kids together first. They did great. They both smiled at the right times. The photographer kept their attention and had the camera ready and snapped some great shots. Then Jenna got some pictures by herself and Reece by himself. And, Reece's smiles weren't ALL the fake I'm-just-learning-how-to-smile-so-I-look-like-I'm-in-pain 4 year-old smiles. Perfect.

As the title of the post says, they did GREAT until.... we were done and it was time to look at the pictures and pick them out. Reece wanted to be held (he's FOUR!), he wanted to see the pictures, he was pushing against me and whining for a snack (which he had JUST had while we were waiting to even see the pictures) and Jenna decided the stroller was NOT a good place to sit AND that she was hungry AND that screaming (high pitched, annoying baby screaming) was TOTALLY okay at that moment.

The moment I knew I had lost control, you ask? When Reece looked at me as I was sternly talking to him about listening and 'we're almost done and PLUUUUUUEEEEAAAASE just be patient for a bit longer' and said, "Mommy, you are holding me hard. It hurts. And, why do you talk to me like a little boy when you're angry with me?"

I knew I just needed to let them be wild and crazy children, I needed to pick out my pictures and GET OUTTA THERE. Fast. So we did.

And a miracle happened - as soon as we walked out the portrait studio they were fine. Literally. On the carpet of the portrait studio floor = throwing a fit and not listening. On the tile floor in the hallway outside the portrait studio = wonderful children who were all smiles.

Is there just something in the air at portrait studios?? Luckily the part the counts, the pictures, are wonderful!

2 comments:

Traci said...

i feel your pain.

i detest having my girls' pictures taken. it is always ALWAYS an exercise in futility! i get so worked up before we even get to the photo studio...ugh.

this is why i'm happy their daycare does pictures twice a year. that way...someone else can deal w/ the insanity! :)

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

Hee hee. Cute story. That's crazy. I think there's definitely something at the air at portrait studios. Glad you got out of there quick!

(Can't wait to see the pics!)