Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Office in real life?


Ryan's team from RTI had a small Christmas party last night at one of his co-worker's house.

Ryan forwarded me the invitation and I read it. Although, maybe I should say I skimmed it based on this story:

As a good little wife wanting to make a good impression on his co-workers I tried to make myself all cute and wore a trendy little jacket, some great earrings and applied a tasteful yet festive amount of make-up.

We showed up at 7:01. Not early, but not late.

We brought the homemade guacamole Ryan had promised everyone with two kinds of 'specialty' chips so it didn't look like we were cheap and only got the Kroger brand of tortilla chips.

We brought two (this is important - TWO) $5 gifts that were appropriately unique yet something that everyone would potentially be okay with getting - male or female.

We visited. I met new people. We had nice small talk conversation. Ate good food.

Then it came.

Time for the gift exchange.

One of the party planners was passing out numbers for the (use your best Micheal Scott voice) "Yaaaaankee Swap." I hear them saying... "Yeah, I think Ryan and Andrea brought two presents." I'm thinking, "Um, yeah, there are two of us." So, they nicely gave me a number and we went into the dining room to do the exchange.

When I say "we" I mean, me and the people Ryan works with - NO OTHER SPOUSES.

Okay, it's getting a little awkward at this point because I realize that only the people who worked at RTI were supposed to bring a gift. But, I thought, "Oh well, guess I'm a dork but I can deal with it."

Then, Allison (Ryan's co-worker and one of the people we traveled to Chicago with over the weekend) leaned over and said, "My present is so boring. I couldn't find anything fun for someone's desk at work." My WTF alarm went off! I said, "We were supposed to bring something to go on someone's desk at work??" in a I'm-such-an-idiot voice.

So, not only am I standing there in the room as the only non-RTI employee, then I realize that the $5 gifts I found are not even what they are supposed to be. I'm mentally kicking myself for looking like an idiot after making strides to "fit in" with everyone and make a good impression.

The people who opened our presents (a 4" poinsettia and two small bags of Ghiradelli individual chocolates) were 'happy' with their gifts and said that they were "creative" and a "oh, that's a good idea."

Then, OF COURSE, we had to all go around and show everyone what we got in the exchange which only drew MORE attention to the fact that I was the only non-RTI employee in the room, especially when I showed them the adorable paper pad, mouse pad and super cute pens I received for "my desk."

Everyone was gracious, but I really want to know what everyone was REALLY thinking. Or maybe I don't. Hey, at least I didn't bring an iPod...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oops. Sorry you were in a bad spot. Sounds like fun anyway. And, great chocolates and a flowering plant are certainly desk enhancements! The question is: did someone else not get the memo and pass it along to the spouse? Love you Ryan!

Anonymous said...

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

Malissa said...

sounds like you handled yourself very well, given the fact that you showed up at the wrong place (at the right time) with the gifts that kind of go on someone's desk...
oh well!

www.thecrazydaisies.wordpress.com said...

Ok, but that is really really funny. A poinsettia and chocolates go on a desk, right? At least they weren't something totally odd.

No offense to the hubbies, but I swear this always happens to me when my husband is supposed to relay messages such as this to me!!!!!!

(that is a little weird the spouses didn't go into the room to participate.)