Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Mmm...

Tonight we had one of my favorite campfire foods ever... foil packs. You know - where you put potatoes, carrots, onions, hamburgers, etc. in foil and place it right on the coals to cook. R. did an AWESOME job of cooking the packs to PERFECTION. Oh man, they were so good. Put a piece of pepper jack cheese on top of the burger after it comes out and it just takes it to the next level.

Other favorite campfire foods:
- orange muffins (hollow out an orange and put muffin mix inside, wrap it in foil and cook it over the coals)
- jelly sticks (place canned biscuits around a stick, rotate over the fire to bake it, take it off the stick and place homemade jelly in the middle)
- s'mores (of course)
- pudgy pies (with fruit filling or pizza filling)

Any other favorites out there in the blog-o-sphere?

6 comments:

Tyler said...

Breakfast always tastes better when it's from a campfire. Eggs and sausage, and toasted break right over the fire ... yum.

Though it's also hard to top foil packs. Ahh ... good memories.

I also enjoyed doing this on cook-out nights when I was a camp counselor: we'd finish off our Mountain Dews and then fill the cans with water, and make camp fire Ramen Noodles.

And, when you don't have stuff for S'Mores, you can't go wrong with the on-fire, burnt black marshmellow.

Lori said...

Man, you are a serious camper with your gourmet campfire recipes!

I'm in agreeance that breakfast is amazing over a campfire. It almost makes me want to go camping again, except I'm sure there's a perfectly good hotel nearby with a free breakfast buffet and electricity.

Wrestling Kitties said...

I have never heard of that, though it sounds VERY yummy! We don't camp but if we happen to be at a bonfire it is just smores and hot dogs, that's about it...but those receipes are great!

Mickey D. said...

I'd like to go camping with you. As long as you bring all of the aforementioned tasty morsels. Otherwise, I'm out.

Malissa said...

yes, please pick a time and spot for campfire goodies... and YOU get to cook. when i had to cook at camp, there were ALWAYS ashes in my so-so pancakes...ewww...

Dri said...

It's on, ladies. Let's pitch a tent and have some DELICIOUS campfire food.

P.S. I can't take credit for the orange muffins or biscuits - those are R's idea. He's the master campfire cooker. SOOO.... we all go camping (read: lay out around the pool at the campsite) and R cooks us all the yummy food we want including breakfast - he makes a mean pancake and has mastered eggs in a basket! ;)

@Tyler - I'm a browned marshmallow kinda gal, none of that black stuff, bleck! :)