Miss J. slept last night from 9:30-3:00 and we didn't even get to take advantage of it.
Why?
About 1:30 I woke up and thought, "Gee, the siren is going.... oh, man, the siren is going!?!? And, it's still going..." I promptly woke Ry up and he went downstairs to watch the weather and sure enough there was a tornado warning. I feverishly ran around our house throwing essentials into a laundry basket right by the back door that goes down to the basement for easy grabbing. We brought Little R. downstairs (he didn't even wake up) and brought Miss J down and put her in her car seat for easy grabbing and running. We proceeded to stay up until 2:30 watching the weather/news and letting the storm pass through.
SO, do you all have emergency packs in your basement/house for easy grabbing in case of tornadoes or other emergencies? If so, what do you have in them?
I'll list what I quickly threw together last night in the comments in case you're curious.
4 comments:
This is what I threw together in about 1 minute last night:
blankets
diapers
wipes
one pull-up
shoes for Little R.
my cell phone
granola bars
water
flash light
(It should be noted, which I think I've said before, that I'm afraid of storms.... but specifically afraid of tornadoes. I've had nightmares about tornadoes for as long as I can remember.)
We grabbed kids and dogs. blankets,flashlight, water, radio, and computer so we could watch online from the basement. Fun, fun. THe kids cuddled up with us. The dogs explored the basement which they are never allowed in.
So I had FINALLY cooled off enough to sleep right around 1 am this morning ... and then the sirens started.
Now it should be noted that while I am afraid of storms (specifically tornadoes ... but you know this as we've had this conversation before), Tyler is not. So, I had the flashlight and my cell phone out by the bed anyways.
Tyler had just come to bed and was NOT going to move. We do not have a basement (but again, you've been to our house and know this) and the only completely interior room in the house is our bathroom. I sat up and was instantly awake at the siren sound. I looked at Tyler and asked, "So, should we go hang out in the bathroom till the sirens stop?" To which he replied something like "Umm no" and proceeded to go back to sleep. I can't sleep. I'm having a hard enough time sitting still and calming my heart rate. So I sat up (in the bathroom for a little while) till the first siren stopped. I tried to lay down on the couch and cool off again where I could have 2 windows open and enjoy the breeze when the second siren started. Yeah. I realize it was that kind of night for lots of people. But sometimes I wish I were better at storms ...
So, that was a lot just to get to this: No, I don't have anything pre-packed. However, I imagine that when we have a house with a basement, I'll have a crate down there for storms. I did however pull a few things together:
flashlight
cell phone
teddy bear (priceless, could NOT be replaced ... and good for comfort)
laptop (the thought occurred to me that, as long as we had power, I could watch weather.com from the bathroom if I was too nervous to sit out in the living room and watch the weather channel on tv)
As I sat in the bathroom during the second siren, the thought occurred to me that I was in my pjs and didn't even have shoes. So if there had been a tornado that took out part of our apartment, I hoped it wouldn't be our closet so that I could grab some shoes before I had to go digging through the wreckage.
Yes ... my exhausted brain was really thinking like that ...
(And now, I must go pack. Hope to see you tomorrow night, but we're off to a wedding today and then STE business tomorrow ...)
wow! glad you're all OK!
we have no emergency stuff in one place. i know, i know...we should.
i'll add it to my list of things to do. :)
seriously though..glad you're all OK.
Post a Comment