
Since a couple of months ago when the large pine tree fell down in our backyard in the middle of the night during a wind storm, Little R. has been VERY afraid of loud noises at night. Specifically wind because it hits his window pretty hard. Last night we added thunderstorms/rain (and wind, of course) to that list.
We are parents who don't bring our little guy to bed with us - he has actually never slept with us. He has also been a GREAT sleeper since he was born and storms never woke him up before.
Last night he screamed (literally) each time the thunder struck and was shaking VERY bad. I had two mommy instincts - hug him and love on him vs. don't get him in the habit of getting out of his bed when there's a storm.
Last night hug him and love on him kinda won.
But, how do we deal with this so he doesn't continue to expect this? Especially with spring/summer/fall (a.k.a. thunderstorm season) upon us....
Hmmmm.
Side note: I have been afraid of storms since I was little as well, specifically wind/tornadoes, so I have a soft spot because I know how scared I used to be laying in my own bed. Now as an adult I always wake up when there is a storm, or even when it's just windy, and tend to stay awake until I'm either too exhausted and my body just forces me to sleep or the storm/wind is over.
5 comments:
Congtrats to you for not sleeping with R. I too am a firm believer in sleeping in ou OWN beds. And another thing that I can relate to is weather phobia. I get so scared at all those sounds.
I have told my daughter, who is also terrified, that it is just the way that God needs to take care of the earth. I told her that all plants are living things and need water. So wether we are sleeping or awake God needs to give them something to drink if they are thursty.
She really liked to think of it as God helping out. It made her more at ease knowing that it was God and not something unknown.
Hope that helps....
Jill - that's a good one.
Dri - I have no experience in this realm. I'm curious to see what other people say.
(My Grandma always told that Jesus and all the angels were just bowling (thunder) and when they lightening happened it just meant that one of them got a strike.)
i wish i could say that i'm one of the moms who doesn't let their kids into bed w/ them. but i'm not. my 4 year old is always coming into our room - either she's cold, or scared, or something.
it got to the point where it's just easier to keep her in our bed at 4 a.m., than to keep getting up and putting her in her bed.
she is also scared of storms, but oddly enough, she sleeps thru them. it's other things that scare her -- the "monster" in her closet, etc.
if you can, keep him in his bed. it makes life much easier! :)
K., that is EXACTLY what my parents told me when I was little! HA!
Good luck and I am sure you will find something that works for him!
Hold him while watching the storm in full velocity. Right in his dark room. Talk him through it. Diffuse the fear and mystery by showing him the wonder of it all.
Post a Comment