Won't you be my neighbor?
About 9 pm we got a knock on our door. One of those loud, really confident knocks. It's a level three snow emergency outside so we weren't planning on visitors. R. and the little man were upstairs getting jammies on, so I flipped on the porch light and opened the door.
Two police officers were standing on our side porch.
"Yes, we were just wondering if you were expecting anyone this evening - about 15 minutes ago."
I say, "Um, no." Probably with a completely bewildered look on my face.
"Well, a neighbor called to inform us that about 15 minutes ago there was a man walking around this side of your house and they felt that when the man saw them he looked away and walked away from the house. So, they called us to report strange activity."
The only thing I could get out was, "Okay....?"
"Was your husband wearing a black coat this evening?"
"Yes." And, then it became exceedingly clear. Our neighbors saw my husband waiting outside while Little R. and I were inside getting our coats off, etc. after walking home from supper at our friends' house down the street. R. was waiting for us outside until I went could unlock the side door and hand him the recycling, etc. in order not to track all of the snow from his shoes through the house and then just have to go outside again. In the 5 minutes we were inside and R. was outside waiting he apparently looked suspicious enough that our neighbors called the police.
I truly appreciate the concern and that people were looking out for us. Really. I'd rather someone call the police over what they consider suspicious activity than not do anything and then have something happen.
When relaying everything that the police said R. said, "Oh my gosh. A guy walked by with his dogs while I was waiting outside for you guys to unlock the door and he happened to see me on my tip toes trying to see into one of our windows. I was trying to see the clock in our living room to see what time it was, but it probably looked REALLY suspicious."
HA! And, I thought they were coming to get R. because 15 minutes earlier (after taking the recycling out) he drove to the gas station while our county was still under a Level 3 snow emergency to fill up our vehicle.
Little R. was just disappointed that he didn't get to see the police officers....
3 comments:
HA, that is funny
Yes, good to have neighbors who will watch out for you! very comforting!
haha..how funny :D
good for overprotective neighbors.
Post a Comment