
So, did any of you watch any of the "debates" held over the past few days? The faith forum that Hilary Clinton, Barack Obama and John Edwards participated in? I hesitate to call them debates because I took speech and debate in college (do you remember that, Two Pretzels?) and these are far from formal debates.
Anyway, what are your thoughts? I want meat from these candidates. I want to know exactly what they are going to do and how. Do you think that presidential candidates should be asked about their faith, their prayer life, etc.? The first question for John Edwards during the faith forum was, "Do you believe in evolution or creationism?" Does that really matter when it comes down to the running of our country?
I'm very interested to hear what others have to say about this. So comment, please! :)
P.S. The picture above I find really funny. It's from a presidential debate before the last election - I still find it hilarious that they wore the same color suit and almost the same style. HA!
5 comments:
No, one's faith does not much to do with running the country, but that's what a boatload of people want it to be about.
It's all a bunch of crap.
I mean, I 100% an evolution girl, but that would never stop me from voting for someone who believed in creationism. I would really rather you be able to speak fluently, have good relations with foriegn leaders, blah blah blah.
My honest opnion, it really doesn't matter who the president is. You're going to like and hate everyone at the same time.
I think religion/faith issues should not even be part of the discussion when it comes to our political leaders. I am a DEVOUT believer in the seperation of church and state in any and ALL situations.
I don't care what their leanings are on faith issues. In fact, I would prefer that we have an atheist as president. Especially after 7 years of our current Bible thumping "Christian" president.
So, I agree, B-rent and Turtle Parade. I thought one of John Edwards' responses was great to a question that had something to do with how his faith would influence his decisions as the President. He said that he would obviously ask for wisdom, but that the President should be able to be respectful of all faiths/religions because he/she is representing an entire country, not a certain religion.
Our current President frustrates me in the faith realm. That's all I'm going to say about that, though.
I agree, wifey...
I am getting tired of government trying to legislate morality. Not that I'm a big Edwards fan, but another thing that he said when asked about same-sex marriage he said he didn't BELIEVE in it, but that didn't mean that civil unions should be illegal.
Faith is an important component of who we are as people, and it can inform the decisions we make, but it may not inform EVERY decision we make. Suppose a person is a carpenter. They have a job to do, and the measurements or cuts they make have little to do with their faith...
...we just know what crappy carpentry looks like :)
...thanks Dubya
Hmmm...
Great topic.
As a naturally nosy person, yeah - I TOTALLY want to hear about presidential candidates' faith. I think it's ignorant to think that any leader (Muslim, Christian, Athiest, etc.) will be able to lead without the influence of her or his faith or beliefs (or lack thereof.)
So, that said - I don't want someone who believes, at her or his core, differently than I do, making the laws and regulations that I'll be forced to abide by. Nope. Not a fan.
That said, I also consider the presidency a job. It's a job. When I got my job, they didn't ask me personal questions about what I do in my bedroom or which God I worship. That's probably the way it should go with the 'ole presidency, too.
**Keep in mind though, that even though I'll act politically correct and tolerant, I always think that when I believe is correct. I can't help it. (:-)
--
And yes, A.O. - I remember Speech and Debate! HA!
Post a Comment