Thursday, June 21, 2007

Credit Cards


So, when we bought this house, we did major rennovations using credit cards with the hopes that in a year we could add enough value to our house to consolidate all of our debt into one payment. This has worked according to plan. The home equity posted to our account today, so I called the three credit cards we had balances on and the following are the conversations I had:


Discover Card -

Me: Hello, I'd like to get a payoff amount, pay over the phone and close my account.

Customer Service Rep (CSR): Okay, you're current balance is $$$$ and I'll go ahead and process your payoff. Now, let me transfer you over to someone else to close your account.


The next person closed my account no problem. Done within 2 minutes, no kidding.


Un-named ridiculous Card -

Me: Hello, I'd like to get a payoff amount, pay over the phone and close my account.

CSR: Well, we can't give you a payoff amount over the phone.

Me: Interesting. Why not?

CSR: If you haven't paid off your balance in full every month there will be finance charges on your account that you will need to pay even after your balance is paid in full.

Me: Well, could you please figure those finance charges so that I can pay everything over the phone this evening?

CSR: No, those will come with your next statement and payment stub next month.

Me: But, I want to pay my credit card off tonight.

CSR: Well, you won't be able to do that completely.

Me: So, what you're telling me is that even though I have the cash sitting in my checking account tonight to pay off this credit card, you will only allow me to pay the current balance which doesn't reflect finance charges and then I'll get another bill from your company next month from which I will need to REALLY pay off my account.

CSR: Yes, that's how it works.

Me: Interesting because I just talked to another credit card company and they were able to process my request to pay my account in full and close it within 2 minutes.

CSR: Well, we can close your account tonight, and you can pay your account balance, but you'll still have another bill coming next month.

Me: (Giving in) Okay, well, let me give you my bank account number to do a payment over the phone.

CSR: This shows that your bill is due today, and because you are calling after 4 p.m. EST you will be charged $39 for a late payment fee.

Me: Are you serious? What about my flex time with payments?

CSR: Well, you don't have any flex time. But, you could go online and select today's date as the payment date and they would only charge you $14.95 for the payment to post today.


So, although I wanted to say SCREW YOU I kept my composure, had her close my account, even though I'll still have a balance on it and I went to the internet, paid my bill, took a $14.95 "Convenience Fee" up the a** and pressed submit. WELLLLLLL.... they charge that convenience fee to your credit card, I couldn't even pay that via my checking account in addition to my bill. I am so not a cusser, but I was ready to cuss lots of words including what my hubby refers to as the "f-bomb."


So, after a venting session to my S-i-L I decide to call Lowe's.


Lowes-

Me: Hello, I'd like to get a payoff amount, pay over the phone and close my account.
CSR: Okay, you're current balance is $$$$ and I'll go ahead and process your payoff. Now, let me go ahead and close your account for you...Okay, we're done.

Me: (speechless for a second) Is that it? I mean, you're really done? That's all? My account is paid, no finance charges, no nothing? We're done?
CSR: Yes, we're done.

Me: Thank you so much. You don't know how much you made my night! Really, from the bottom of my heart thank you.


I'm definitely not getting a credit card from the middle company again. Discover and Lowe's, your credit divisions get a BIG pat on the back. Thank you for making it easy for those of us who don't want credit card debt to pay our cards off, right now, when we call you, no additional fees. Thank you.

7 comments:

Anna@MetaMusings said...

You are very kind for not disclosing the crappy middle credit card. Just for that they should re-imburse you the $14.95. (How do you and R feel about renovating bathrooms ;) ).

Anonymous said...

Well, we would love to renovate a bathroom. Unfortunately we can't commit to the time. :) If you need any help or advice give me a call, though.

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

UNBELIEVABLE.

Tell me who the other card was. I must know.

Anonymous said...

The credit card company with unscrupulous practices must be exposed. Do tell!!!!!!

Dri said...

So, the credit card company was CHASE. If (notice I said IF) you would think about getting a credit card from them, READ THROUGH EVERYTHING CAREFULLY and ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS. I don't even want to think about the extra fees they were charging us over the past year when we were trying to pay our balance down.....

On the bright side - In an effort to get rid of credit card debt, eliminate payments, improve our credit score, etc. we have closed several credit card accounts that I had no balance on. You know, those accounts you open just to save 10% then payoff right away and then, at least in our case, never use again.

CHASE is still the only one who gave me a hard time regarding closing my account and I made SEVERAL calls to many different companies today - each lasted a max of 2 minutes, seriously. Of course, we didn't have balances on these cards, but STILL.

So, I am happy to report that as of tomorrow we will have NO CREDIT CARD DEBT. HALLELUIAH!!!!!!!!!!

We've been building up to this for awhile. It's a new kind of life for the our household. :)

AND I LOVE IT! I feel like a huge weight has been lifted.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't doubt if you called THAT company back and got a completely different person...they would have done something different...and that portion of how our society works...SUCKS!

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

CONGRATS ON having NO CREDIT CARD DEBT!


YOU are awesome!

Be VERY proud of yourselves!!!!!!!!