Would you believe me if I told you that my son just turned 8 years old? I know, I know... I don't look old enough to have an 8 year old. You are too kind.
Would you believe me if I told you that every year (yes, EVERY.YEAR.) my son has been sick on or VERY close to his birthday? Stomach virus, cold, fever... you name it, he's had it. On his birthday. Every year.
This year he decided to share it with the girls in the house as well. Sunday/Monday I wasn't feeling well and probably had a low grade fever and then I started coughing and my voice is now gone. You know, the sexy-voice-is-almost-gone-voice. Or more realistically, the stay-away-from-me-because-you-are-sick-voice. Little Miss has been running a fever for the past two days as well. We have spent a lot time together snuggled up in blankets and pillows piled up on the floor watching movies. LOTS of movies. In fact, as I'm typing Cars II is on in the background. (And the boys are playing the game Lego Pirate Plank.)
Before the sickness hit us all, we made some sweet birthday memories though. Little R saw a picture of this cake and decided that it was perfect considering his love for everything Reese's.
So I collected recipes. My good friend supplied the homemade chocolate cake recipe and I found the peanut butter frosting recipe here. And I got started...
I am very happy with the way the cake turned out. The chocolate cake recipe was perfect. Moist, delicious and easy, just like I requested. I know I will use it time and time again. (I'm not sure if I can give it out because you see... it's a third generation family recipe from another friend and I've only made it once so it doesn't really count as MY recipe yet, so...) The frosting recipe was just as easy, although I doubled the milk and only used 5 cups of powdered sugar. It made enough frosting for a double layer round cake, cake balls and a dessert a few nights later of peanut butter frosting on chocolate graham crackers.
![]() |
| The finished product! |
And now enjoy more pics from the weekend!
![]() |
| Pancakes and sausage breakfast requested by the little man. |
![]() |
| Some lego fun. A Wii remote makes a great bunker. |
![]() |
| Wii with friends. Don't they look thrilled? |
![]() |
| A few gifts from friends. Legos, Star Wars and Angry Birds. 8-year old perfection! |
![]() |
| Building Legos with his cousin. |
![]() |
| 1.) A pound of Highlander Grogg coffee from our favorite coffee shop in town so that we could tackle... |
![]() |
| 2.) The mounds of dirty dishes made throughout the day. |
And NUMBER THREE?! Memories made with loved ones celebrating our kind, caring, gentle-spirited little man. Happy birthday, Little R!











1 comment:
EIGHT YEARS OLD! Stop it! Happy Birthday, R!
And that recipe? Dear friend, if you make a recipe TWICE it's your recipe. :) That's the rule. ;)
Post a Comment