I am four weeks in to focusing on discipline. I have had some success in the areas in which I set out to introduce discipline. I read two books in January and have two more on tap for February. I have read the Bible and journalled with more regularity in the past four weeks than in the previous several months. I am participating in a weekly pottery class again. I am working on being disciplined with diet and exercise and have seen results.
And now... well, this week is a hard week for me. I've already described that I feel like this is a life sentence. And, at this point in my past efforts to be more disciplined I generally get... bored? frustrated? tired? No... impatient. Yes, impatient is probably the best way to describe it.
I've said before that I am an all or nothing kind of person. As in, "This is my perfect daily schedule and if I can't keep a perfect schedule then I might as well give up on the whole thing." All or nothing.
I am also an impatient person. If I don't "get" something right away it is hard for me to continue practicing and practicing until I get it. I have been blessed to "get" most things pretty easily - school was not difficult and neither was college, piano came naturally, pottery has seemed to come pretty naturally, organizing seems to be in my blood. If I try something and I am not immediately successful I have a hard time sticking with it. I get impatient with myself and think I should already be good at it. Running falls in to this category for me. I run for awhile, sign up for and run a 5K and then realize that I am still slow, still breathe heavily (sorry for those who have ever run around me) and am not very good at it. So I stop running.
This is the point in past attempts at being disciplined in diet and exercise where I get impatient. I have had reasonable success this time, but I feel like I should have done better by now. I should have lost more weight by this time. The temptations should have gone away by now. I "should on" myself a lot... and then I grow weary of sticking with it to have "only" moderate success so I say "well, if I can't be at the end of the process I might as well not try at all." (See how all of my personality quirks come together in a perfect storm?)
So I am working through my "shoulds" right now. I am trying to have reasonable expectations of progress and am trying to put one foot in front of the other, to continue to make one decison at a time to be disciplined. I am working on being on a journey. I know when I look back on this year of discipline and see the results in my body, mind and spirit I will be thankful for the effort and work it is requiring.

No comments:
Post a Comment