Welcome to a place to share my aimless thoughts - a place that is an oasis where I can reflect on the routine of life.
Wednesday, January 2, 2013
Making my list... and checking it twice.
Lists help me feel sane.
I like writing things down to then check them off. In fact, I've written down a task AFTER I've completed it just to be able to check it off of my list. Lists quantify my activity throughout a day. Lists get the clutter out of my mind.
I have lists on my phone: books I want to read, subjects to blog about, a running list of potential gifts for the people I love, treasures to look for at a flea market, the addresses of several Goodwill stores in Cbus...
So, naturally, the first thing I want to do in order to assist me in my journey towards personal discipline is write a list. (And, I actually did write a list of ways I would like to be more disciplined this year in my first post. See, it's just second nature.)
But it's not about a list of things to do, is it? Focusing on one word - discipline - for the year is about the journey itself. A journey toward being mindful of the lack of discipline in my life for the past several years and where that lack of discipline has left my body, mind and spirit. And alternatively, a journey toward understanding how being disciplined can positively affect my body, mind and spirit. So, while I will be setting some goals to keep me focused (more on those later), I will also be trying to let the idea of discipline permeate my being.
I would love to know if any of you have chosen to have a focus word for 2013. Leave me a comment and let me know your word.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Hello my friend!
I love that you're turning the definition of discipline upside down. OR, at least, lending it some good PR. I think so many are scared off by the word "discipline" but it's really an awesome and incredible-rewarding thing... (so I'm told...)
But seriously, go you! I support you!
This year, my word is "mindful." I rush, go and rush some more... I don't always think about my actions and how they impact others... hence, being more mindful.
Hugs to you and happy new year!
Hello, my friend! Thank you for being honest and open about your goal for this year! I love the idea of having a word to focus on throughout the year! I'm choosing PLAN. I've been working on becoming a planner for awhile now. Basically, I want to dream dreams for myself and my family and accomplish them! Proverbs 19:9 A man's heart plans his way, but The Lord directs his steps. I'm claiming this verse for my very own this year. It's not going to be easy, but I'm going to give it my best! Thanks for the chance to have a little accountability and inspiration to get it all done! Love you, girl!!! I'll be "watching" your progress! :-)
I love this idea of one word, and I love the positive focus on discipline. I also have a list at home and work every day, and I do not hesitate to write down something I've already done just to cross it off.
I think my word for this year is peace. Lots of changes and unknowns in the coming year can bring up a lot of anxiety for me, and so I want to strive for peace in the midst of that.
Post a Comment