Monday, January 25, 2010

The secret.


Well, a couple of you have asked what I'm doing to get healthier. So, take note... I'm going to share my secret.

The secret: My husband and I have put together an exercise and eating plan and we're sticking to it.

Granted, that's a simplified version of what I'm doing, but really when I boil it all down, that's what is making the difference this time - making a plan that I can actually stick to and then making the decision to stick to it.

Specifically, I found a basic version of the P90X eating guide on someone's blog and have been loosely following those guidelines for eating: 5 lean protein, 2 vegetable, 1 fruit, 1 carb, 1 fat, 2 dairy, 1 protein bar. Some days I eat more in one area than another, but it all balances out. I was eating a TON of carbs before and craved sugar BIG TIME. I've been eating on this plan for 2 full weeks now and I had a couple of bites of a Reese's Heart tonight and it was so sweet I couldn't even finish it. That right there, friends, is a miracle. Period. It's also a testimony to feeding your body what it needs to thrive.

Exercise is pretty simple: Jillian's 30-Day Shred 3 mornings a week, 1 morning of either Kenpo X or Plyometrics and another day of exercise which has been a jog. It's a good mix and is doable.

My husband has lost a lot of weight (50 pounds) in the past year or so and he had some wise words for me: "Exercise to be healthy, eat to be skinny." It's very true and words that run through my mind frequently when I'm faced with temptation.

Another thing that has changed: We made a pact at work to keep junk food out of the office. That is so helpful.

And, finally, my church community is doing The Biggest Loser. I would LOVE to win that competition, although that may be out of my reach based solely on the percentage of weight I actually need to lose compared to others. But, I'm competitive enough that I want to kick butt. So far I'm in third place out of 28!

Really, as my accountability partner said, it's a perfect storm of reasons that is making me successful this time. I can't wait to use the money I'm saving up for each pound I lose to purchase new clothing in April. Just in time for SUPER CUTE and SKINNY spring/summer clothing. :)

It was time to change and I made the decision to change. Now I'm achieving my goal. Faster than I ever thought I would!

4 comments:

Wrestling Kitties said...

THAT IS AWESOME! What a great plan. I love the saying too "Exercise to be healthy, eat to be skinny."

I lost 30 pounds last fall, but stopped losing weight around the holidays. I have a weight loss blog I am starting this week as I count down to my 30th birthday and attempt to reach a certain goal by then. It can always be hard to do the work, but SO worth it and alot easier when people are doing it with you.

Congrats & Good Luck, but it sounds like you are doing an amazing job already!!!

(I would be interested in that diet plan, if you have more details?! I can always give you my email if you have any links or info!)

Anna@MetaMusings said...

Congrats, and keep it up!

And your statement about not be thrilled with chocolate was amazing. After this pregnancy I need to slowly wean my body off sugar. It's all I've been craving lately, and I'm afraid I've picked up some bad habits. Not a time to worry about it now, but something I'm cognizant of for postpartum.

Jill Marie said...

We just got the PX90, but I would love to have the eating plan also! Could you maybe e-mail it or post about it???!!! jillbro@hotmail.com!
When you can!!!

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

(I can't believe I didn't comment on this post sooner! I thought I did, I guess it didn't get through.)

I'm SO happy for you, Dri. So happy.

And I love R.'s, "Exercise to be healthy, eat to be skinny."

Nice.