Our whole neighborhood coordinated garage sales for today and tomorrow! My mom, my aunt, my gramma and my cousin & her kids are all at my house throughout the day today helping. And I'm.... at work. Boo. But that's okay, I'll be home all day tomorrow.
Things I love about garage sales:
- Seeing every kind of person imaginable.
- Making someone's day by having the right price on something they've been looking for.
- Making money. (That's a given right?)
- The feeling of purging/organizing as I go through every drawer, nook and cranny (and basement nook and cranny) in my house. I seriously should have taken before and after pictures of our basement. You would be amazed.
- The "professional" garage saler that inevitably shows up every year with a 3x5 note card that has a list of items they are looking for (i.e. anything made of gold, VHS tapes), doesn't even look around and just comes straight up to you and says, "Do you have anything on this list? Look twice to make sure." (Do you all have those people where you are too or is it just F-town?)
Things I don't like about garage sales:
- Setting everything out and getting it priced. I ALWAYS underestimate the time it takes to do that which means I'm rushed.
- The first morning. The last few garage sales I've had have been on Friday and Saturday and I have had to work on Friday. So.... I get up extra early and help get everything set out, finish pricing (see the previous point) and inevitably end up late to work. The kids are waking up as I'm trying to get stuff set-up, which means they need breakfast... it's just hairy. And, there are ALWAYS those people who come at 7:30 even when it says the garage sale opens at 8:00.
- The people who plan it so they come at 3:59 on the last day of your garage sale when it closes at 4:00. Just so you know, people, I am NOT in the mood to barter at that time. I'm in the mood to shut down and donate stuff. Come at 2:00 if you want me to barter.
- Clean up. Plain and simple.
I have vivid memories of my mom and all of her sisters having a big garage sale at their aunt's house here in town. I would get to hang out with all of my cousins and play ALLLLLLLL day long. I'm happy that Reece is getting to experience that this year as well! (And, now I know just how stressful those days probably were for my mom and my aunts!)
No comments:
Post a Comment