Thursday, August 21, 2008

Long, Annoying Insurance Story

R. switched jobs as of June 1. That means no insurance through work anymore and means we had to take out a personal insurance policy. No biggie - other than it being FREAKING expensive.

Well, St. Marks insurance cancellation date was June 1, effective date of the new policy is June 1. Since June 1, I went to the ER once (kidney stone), Miss J went to the ER once (fever - less than 2 months old), we had several chiropractor appointments and Miss J had a well-baby visit.

Both the doctor's office and the hospital sent the claims in to the wrong insurance. No biggie, I made a phone call and they sent it to the right place. I personally sent in my chiropractor information.

We get a letter in the mail from our current insurance saying that they are denying our claims because we have other insurance that is considered primary. Uh.... nope, wrong. We only have one insurance policy, people.

So, I call our current insurance company and they say that the previous policy shows it's cancellation date is July 31, which basically means that the new company won't accept our claims because it should go through the old company according to them. BUT, the old company won't cover our claims because according to them our policy ended June 1.

So, I call the previous company. They confirm that the cancellation date is June 1. Okay, great, can you call our new insurance provider and make sure they have the correct date? Yes. Wonderful. That was August 5.

Fast forward......

Today, I get MORE claims in the mail from the old insurance policy that show the claims are denied through them because we didn't have insurance during that time. Um, yes I know this. WHY ARE YOU STILL GETTING MY CLAIMS????????

So, I call previous company. They will check into it and call me back. Great.

So, I call current company. They still have the cancellation date of our old policy in their system as July 31. They suggest I fax in a copy of my proof of insurance document that CLEARLY states that the termination date for previous policy was June 1. Fine.

So, previous company calls back (no more than 15 minutes after I talked to current company) and they say that they called current company at the beginning of the month and confirmed that our date was changed to June 1 so everything should go through fine now. I say, "Actually, I just got off the phone with my current insurance company and unless that change has been made in the last 15 minutes it still isn't correct." So, now I'm waiting for ANOTHER call from our previous company.

Did you follow all of that???? Like the title of my post states... this is a LONG, ANNOYING insurance story. Apparently, to be continued....

6 comments:

Malissa said...

YUCK!! i hope it all gets sorted out.

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

I don't know how individuals in the medical billing/insurance field sleep at night.

My condolences.

Lori said...

It is amazing how many precious, irreplacable hours we lose due to the incompetency of others.

Wrestling Kitties said...

blech....so annoying. I hope it gets worked out soon but what a waste of time and a huge annoyance!

Tyler said...

Yikes.

If I can ever do anything to help with the conversation and/or understanding what's actually going on behind the scenes, let me know.

Sarah said...

as I health care provider that bills insurance companies for my services, I feel your pain. Insurance companies suck. Period. And unfortunately, the people that you talk to when you call are so uninformed from their employers it's really pathetic. They're just reading from a computer screen, and they have no idea what any of it means. I talk to them daily, I hate them all :)

I hope it gets better soon!