
...what the lyrics are to Dexy's Midnight Runners song "Come on Eileen"?
Well, I did today as we were listening to it in the car. Especially the "Come on, Eileen, Taloo Rah Yay" part. (Yes, what I just typed is what I thought they said. And, it turns out I wasn't far off.)
Here are the lyrics as posted on the internet:
Poor old Johnny Ray
Sounded sad upon the radio, he moved a million hearts in mono.
Our mothers cried and sang along and who'd blame them.
Now you're grown, so grown, now I must say more than ever.
Go Toora Loora Toora Loo-Rye-Aye
and we can sing just like our fathers.
Come on Eileen,
I swear (well he means) At this moment you mean everything,
With you in that dress my thoughts I confess verge on dirty
Ah come on Eileen.
These people round here wear beaten down eyes
Sunk in smoke dried faces they're so resigned to what their fate is,
But not us, no not us we are far too young and clever.
Remember Toora Loora Toora Loo-Rye-Aye
Eileen I'll hum this tune forever.
Come on Eileen, I swear, well he means
Ah come on let's take off everything,
That pretty red dress Eileen (Tell him yes)
Ah come on let's, ah come on Eileen, please.
So, I don't really think they follow the version of the song we listen to in the car exactly, but the nonsense "Toora Loora Toora Loo-Rye-Aye" part made me feel good.
I mean, I'm the girl who thought the words to "You Give Love a Bad Name" were "Shot to the heart and you're too late..." until my hubby looked at me like a crazy woman and corrected me after laughing his butt off at me!
Okay, please tell me that some of you mess up lyrics to songs as well - share, people, share. (In other words, make me feel better about myself.)
3 comments:
I love this song, but until last year never new what most of the lyrics were. Terry told me and I was like..oh, that is a bit naughty!!
You are not alone. I am CONSTANTLY singing the wrong lyrics to songs. Mostly on purpose b/c I don't understand what they are saying, but sometimes b/c I actually think that is what they are saying! As far as I am concerened...if you sing those wrong lyrics with conviction it doesn't matter that they are wrong!
I had a crush on the main guy ("Dexy" if you will) when I was REALLY little. Isn't that weird???
I always wondered what toora loora was. I actually did get those lyrics right.
But I've messed up many others I'm sure that I don't know of. If I think of any, I'll be back!
Post a Comment