Sunday, February 24, 2008

Stupid Book


Little R. has many books - we've read to him before naptime and bedtime since he was born and he loves it.

Every now and again you run across a stupid kids book. He has one - The Lamb and the Butterfly. Gma and Gpa got it for him from Kohls for Easter last year. You know those books that are always at the checkout with little coordinating stuffed animals where part of the proceeds go to a good cause? Well, the fact that part of the money from this purchase went to a good cause is the only redeeming quality of this book, truly. Okay, and that is was illustrated by Eric Carle - the same illustrator who did The Very Hungry Caterpillar (a book which I love, btw).

Okay, back to The Lamb and the Butterfly. The storyline is dumb. The narrating is repeatative. It's just dumb.

Little R. rarely picks it (I think because he knows it's dumb, too) but last night he did. I was reading it to him and came across a particularly stupid line and started laughing uncontrollably.

Maybe it was the hormones, maybe it was the fact that I was exhausted after a day of working on our kitchen - whatever it was it didn't help the "calm down" factor before bed to have mommy laughing hysterically at his book.

I'm shaking my head just thinking about it - but feel on the verge of laughing again at the absurdity of this book. My recommendation? Donate a couple of bucks directly to a good cause and forgo buying this book.

No comments: