Monday, February 25, 2008

My favorite kind of public restroom.

My favorite public restroom has these features:

- Either no door that needs to be opened or a door that opens out - so that when you're done washing your hands you either a.) don't need to touch a door at all or b.) can just use your hip to push the door open when you're ready to exit and don't have to touch a door handle that many other people have touched who may or may not have washed their hands.

- One that has sinks that automatically turn on and actually have warm/hot water.

- One that has hand dryers that turn on automatically - because if you take the time to actually stand there to dry your hands they feel quite soft.

- If there is not an automatic hand dryer, one that has paper towels that automatically advance when you wave your hand in front of it and a trash can that is empty enough for you to put your paper towels in without having to push other people's nasty paper towels down.

- If Little R. (and soon to be Baby Girl) are with me one that has a changing table that actually has a place for you to put the diaper bag without feeling completely cramped and in other people's way.

- One that is fairly clean.

Do you agree? Any other requirements you can think of?

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I was just thinking the other day about something I HATE in some bathrooms.

When the stall door opens in toward the toilet, and it only clears the toilet by an inch. Seriously, nobody's legs are only and inch wide, so you have to stradle the toilet just to get the door shut once you're in. Ditto trying to get out. I find it super annoying.

I hate having to touch the door handles also...icky gross.

And I do wish all public bathrooms just had those electric blower dryers, the automatic ones so you don't have to touch any of that stuff either.

Wrestling Kitties said...

Agree I can't stand gross restrooms! TP you are right with the doors going inwards. So stupid.

I also think that they should make sure there are an appropriate number of air dryers in the restrooms. They always seem to have two but 10 stalls!

Dri said...

I am TOTALLY in agreement about doors that open in. Stupid. Doors that open out is definitely added to my favorites list.

I was at a hockey game and had to take Little R. to the bathroom - try getting a 6 month pregnant (at that time) belly and a 3 year old in a stall that had a door that opened in. Almost impossible.

PLUS, the floor was wet, which didn't help in keeping Little R. or the bottom of his pants dry.

Yuck!

But, he did go and kept his Pull-Up dry in the midst of it all. :)

Anonymous said...

Here's a great option, StepNpull. It's a simple bracket that attaches to the bottom corner of any commercial latch less door and allows the user to open the door with their foot instead of their hand. There is a short demo video on the website. www.stepnpull.com