Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Water, Water Everywhere

We had a TON of rain last night.

My dad called me this morning and asked, "Hey, how's your basement looking?" To which I responded with something like "Oh, it's fine I'm sure. We've never had water in it before." My dad, being the smart man he is, said, "Why don't you go down and check while I'm on the phone with you."

So, I did.

I walked down and said right into my dad's ear on the phone, "Well, sh**!"

Over night last night we had approximately 2 feet of water in our basement. By the time I went down to check it had receded, but you could still see the water line all around the walls. Some things we had stored down there are ruined, others will be fine with some cleaning or laundering and other things were just trash anyway and can be taken to the dump.

In the midst of this I am very thankful for the following things:
- the pilot light on our water heater works after drying out a bit meaning we don't have to get a new water heater
- the water in our basement went down on it's own
- we have a ledge around our basement that MOST of our important things were stored on and they are completely dry
- we have it MUCH better than MANY people in this area, the pictures on the news really put everything into perspective

Water, water everywhere in our part of the state...... I-75 was even closed because there was water covering both North and South bound lanes. Yikes.

3 comments:

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

Whoa. This could have been hugely worse. I'm so glad all is well, and mostly dry.

Do you have a sump pump?

We have both a sump pump and a battery backup. LIFE.SAVER.

Anonymous said...

Definitely could have been MUCH worse.

Our basement does not have a sump pump. It might have helped some, but 8 inches of rain in a short time would even out-do the best sump pump out there I think. I could be wrong.

Needless to say, with the record breaking flood levels in Findlay, we feel very blessed to have only had that one problem and have it drain SO quickly.

Anna@MetaMusings said...

I am so glad to hear that things are ok with you all. I was definitely hinking of you when I saw your town on National news last night. I am sure the basement was a pain, but I am glad there was not more damage!