Monday, July 23, 2007

It's all about me.


So, Saturday night the flights were running rather smoothly that I took to get home. Especially compared to Friday's nightmare. My flight out of Chattanooga was on time, I got to Charlotte and waited no longer than 10 minutes to board my flight to Columbus. We got on the airplane and..... we sat there. And sat there. And sat there.


Finally, a flight attendant announced that they were recounting/checking some of the luggage because they had switched crews half-way through and the communication between crews wasn't sufficient for them to feel like they had all of the correct luggage.


Okay, no big deal. No one was sitting beside me on this flight, so I put my feet up and continued re-reading Harry Potter in hopes that I could refresh my memory and get the new book soon. Nothing I'm going to do is going to change the situation and, well, I'd really like to know that my bag is on the plane.


Conversation I hear from a few seats up between two young ladies (probably my age):

"This is ridiculous. I'm sure they are lying to us. Like they don't have our baggage on the plane. I'm sure they are just holding the plane for some idiot who couldn't figure out how to get a connecting flight for the right time in order to catch this plane."


Interesting take on the situation, obviously they've never missed a connecting flight and had the plane take off without them.


Their conversation continues: "Well, I just want to get going. We're already an hour late taking off. I don't care if they don't have my luggage. We can all just come back to the airport tomorrow and pick up our bags."


WHAT!?!?!?!?!? Apparently they forgot that the world didn't revolve around them. What about the 140 other passengers on the plane? I just smiled at their ignorance and self-importance (knowing I get that way at times too) and went back into my Harry Potter world.

2 comments:

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

I believe those people were ill-informed and well, stupid.

Malissa said...

agreed. people often forget how lucky we are all to be alive...post 9/11. the nerve.