Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Speaking Of....


Is there such a thing as dog barking etiquette? Like, if you live in town with neighbors close enough that at least a dozen houses could hear your dog barking at 5 a.m., what would dog barking etiquette say would be the proper thing to do?

a. let your dog bark - who cares about my neighbors - at least the dog isn't waking me up having to pee anymore

b. train your dog to not bark

c. at least wait until 6:30 a.m. to let your dog out - I mean, you know it's going to bark, but at least 6:30 is more of a humane time to have your neighbors deal with it.

d. (insert other option that I'm not aware of here)


Dog lovers and owners, your insight would be much appreciated.

6 comments:

MacGeiber said...

If you have any insight into achieving option B, I'm interested.

Malissa said...

i am a dog owner, but only one who accompanies her dog in all outdoor settings (i.e. - my dog is NOT responsible enough to be left on a leash alone), and she's not a barker.
however, it seems like in some neighborly situations, addressing hte neighbor would be good? OR.... if you have to call the "authorities" i guess that's an option too? it is rather hard to deal with this sort of issue.

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

UGH. I hate this. We had small yippy dogs near us in Toledo and I hated them. The ONLY thing we could do, is close the windows and use a fan to quiet everything down.

Some people are just annoying.

If it DOES get out of control, I agree with Miss - call the "authorities." That's disturbing the peace. I would just have a record of the barking...

Anonymous said...

I guess there is one perk to owning a home so old that the windows don't open. :) By the way, I hate barking. The problem is, these dogs bark when their owners are right beside them so why would the owners care if they bark outside?! They should care but they are so deaf to it that it doesn't matter to them. How about the loose dogs that trot through your yard, poop, then go on their merry way without an owner in sight? Did I mention my neighbor now has THREE boxer dogs to breed for "some extra money"? I can't wait. Excuse me, I think I'm on a tangent. Sorry!

Anonymous said...

I don't think training a dog not to bark is an option. I say wait till a more humane hour of the day to let the pup out, or let him out at 5 to tinkle and then let him right back in! I can't even stand my own dog barking at hours when sleep is happening (mine or my napping 1 year old's), and it's just worse if it's someone else's dog.

I'd say that if you did have to talk to the neighbor, do it in a nice way. I say this not because I think you would be mean about it, but because my mom's neighbors were horribly rude in telling my mom about her dog's barking. They threatened to call the cops and everything. They obviously didn't consider the fact that they'll still be neighbors after the dog stops barking.

Dri said...

Story time - a friend of ours was trying to train his dog not to bark when it was in their house. So, he got a bark collar - one that shocks the dog each time it barks so it eventually learns not to bark.

Well, he forgot to take the bark collar off when he let his dog outside and it basically got mauled by a squirrel because the dog couldn't bark to scare it away and the dog was small anyway.

It ended up almost laying there like dead because it couldn't bark to prevent the first attack and then when it got hurt it yelped and got shocked - so then it felt like it couldn't do anything.

They took it to a vet because it had severe lascerations and I think an eye wound.

Eek.