
Really - I'm interested. What do you want to see reported on your news channel each morning, noon and evening? How would the world be different, or a better question, WOULD the world be different if we reported our news differently?
Let's chat... I've put my thoughts in the "comments" section.
4 comments:
I thought I'd start the discussion since I posed the question.
I enjoy listening to news that is enlightening, creative and not overly emotionalized (is that a word?). I want to feel smarter after listening to it and more educated about the world. I don't want to feel scared to walk out of my front door.
I really enjoy listening to NPR - the news they bring at noon and the reporting they do from 4-6 p.m. (Locally, 91.3 and/or 90.1)It's wonderful. They have stories from around the globe. I never listen to their news and feel hopeless after listening. They don't overdramatize things, but they still report on things.
They've reported on the massacre at VT, but haven't been dwelling on it. And, their reporting on it has so far been focused on the victims, not as much mention of the shooter. I appreciate that.
I also appreciate more in depth studies of certain topics. Like on Dateline or other news programs like that.
It's interesting to me how the news can focus on the horrific deaths of 32 people at VT, but when 5-10 people or more die daily in Iraq (U.S. or otherwise) they get a 30 second mention. Or, how about all of the people/children in Africa who die daily of AIDS?
Plus, I'd like to have a news source that reports on the strides people are taking at combatting the horrible things in the world - instead of reporting on the horrible strides some people are taking at spreading hopelessness, hate and evil in the world.
Phew. That's my 2 cents worth - as my hubby would say, "Keep the change." I'd love to hear your thoughts.
I'm not convinced I've ever really read, seen, or heard "news". Even though I was raised to believe what I was hearing, reading, and seeing was news. I've come to believe that it's all really just opinion about current events, and positioning to support the people, places, and ideas you believe in, regardless of actual facts.
And that's an honest statement about everyone who claims to do "news", not just certain entities I don't like, but also the ones I do like.
Having said that, I guess I have to say that if I'm just going to get charged up opinion anyways, I'd much rather get them in entertaining ways. So, in all honesty, the two "news" programs I watch most often are on Comedy Central. How sad is that?
For the rest of my news, I sample clips from various internet sources linked on the Drudge Report. As long as I don't read an article too long, the bias and opinion don't really have a chance to overshadow the actual story.
Good topic though ...
interesting...
just read the paper this morning, and I normally start on front page and then move to the letters to the editor. I'm not really sure why, it really just makes me frustrated, but I read it nonetheless. One letter mentioned something about a friend of his that had 'fallen' in Iraq after being 'murdered by a sniper.'
apparently, we're not murdering anyone in Iraq.
I know, I know. The letters are hardly news...but is the news really any more than flashy, pseudo-authoritative opinion?
What do I know though, I'm everyone's back pocket...except for Fox News'...I'd rather be a pain in their ass...
"60 Minutes" is a superb news magazine that has aired for nearly 40 years. As long as I've been a viewer, I don't ever recall any over-dramatizing or sensationalizing of any stories featured on that program. Of special interest to me are the in-depth profiles of world leaders -- I always learn something new. And, of course, Andy Rooney is invariably entertaining with his unique perspectives on life!
Post a Comment