
My mom is a sewer. The real term I suppose would be seamstress. She has always sewn her own curtains and when I got married I started going to her to make my curtains. They always look wonderful and professionally done. She sewed all of my Easter dresses when I was younger and continued to sew prom/winter formal dresses for me. She even made my wedding dress. Not only did she sew the fabric together, but she spent hours putting each bead on the lace with her own two hands.
From the time I was old enough until I graduated from high school, I was in 4-H and took sewing projects. I even went to state a few times - and, no, my mom did not do it for me. She refused and insisted that I do it myself. She guided me through the instructions, which I think is the hardest part to navigate correctly when making something from scratch. Apparently I got the sewing gene and had an awesome teacher. I haven't sewn since then and sometimes I really miss it.
Maybe I should ask for a sewing machine for my birthday!
Do you have anything you learned awhile ago that you'd like to pick back up again? Or is there something you've always wanted to learn to do, but haven't taken the time to do it?
4 comments:
yeah....i was a dancer (all kinds of forms) growing up, but i do wish i could use those tap shoes that i have (still fit) a little more often. i miss it.
I taught myself to play the piano. I miss that ... but we don't have a piano anymore. I suppose in tune with that would be the fact that my ability to read music quickly is near non-existent nowadays. So there would be what I want to practice and pick up again - reading music. I still remember all of the fingerings ... that would come back with the music ... I'm sure of it. Good question.
I'm jealous - I would love to learn how to sew. I once made new pillow cases for some over-sized floor pillows, of which I'm quite proud, however they are not that special...
I'd also love to knit - tried it a few times, but I always get to frustrated and quit.
And with you Rachel, I used to play the piano. My mom used to play piano in a band and everyone in my family has always had a piano in their home. I don't have one yet, but I can't wait - someday I will!
I'd like to start crocheting again.
And, I do miss my piano.
Post a Comment