Monday, April 16, 2007

I've found my voice momentarily

So, allow me a moment to say:

Why? How does someone decide to kill and injure that many people? What has to shut off in their mind in order for them to make that decision?

I can't imagine the fear and uncertainty, shock, disbelief and horror these students felt and are feeling. This kind of a crime is so random and blind. If you decided to skip class that morning you were saved, if you were somehow blocked by a desk you were saved, if you were in the front of the classroom you were killed... what if you met his eyes? Did it matter? Would he have pointed the gun a different way if he met your eyes and realized you were a human being just like him? Did he even feel like a human being?

The gunman was able to transfer his despair, loneliness, and hopelessness onto thousands of innocent people in a matter of violent seconds.

Violent seconds that changed so many lives in an instant.

God, forgive us for we know not what we do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beyond comprehension. I don't know that we are even capable of trying to understand. I think these people somehow separate themselves so far from reality that it isn't even real to them as they do it.

Very sad. I just imagine the parents at home or work hearing it on the news for the first time, not knowing yet if their child was in harms way.

Makes me shudder.